Saturday, August 15, 2009

View of Great Salt Lake from my Hammock

View from campsite 6 on Antelope Island, Salt Lake. I shot this during one of my rare restful moments of the trip. I had just set up my camp for the evening and was about to prepare dinner on my reliable Coleman stove when I jumped into the hammock and enjoyed the scenery for a while.





These are fisheye sunset shots from my beach campsite on the Great Salt Lake. I also set up the tripod and took this self-portrait using the fisheye to capture the whole campsite scene just before sunset. Antelope Island State Park is a great place to camp on the Great Salt Lake.



From Salt Lake City I drove Interstate 80 to Reno and passed through some of the most desolate landscapes I've ever seen. The most interesting area I passed was the Bonneville Salt Flats.



According to Wikipedia the depth of the salt here has been recorded at 6 feet. The salt flats are a remnant of an ancient lake from glacial times. It is the largest of many salt flats located west of the Great Salt Lake.



The first world land-speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats was set on September 3rd, 1935, by Sir Malcolm Campbell. His speed was 301.13 miles per hour. Craig Breedlove holds the honor of being the first man to go faster than 400, 500, and 600 miles per hour. His record of 600.601 miles per hour, set on November 15, 1965, was finally broken on October 23, 1970, by Gary Gabelich.

Below is a photo I took of a couple and their dog walking the huge expanse of the Bonneville Salt Flat.



It's like being on another planet.

No comments: