Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Foggy Sunset at Montara Beach, CA

I drove to Montara Beach after working at my company's headquarters in San Bruno, CA to see if I could photograph a stunning sunset. The fog started rolling over the hills before I even got out of the parking lot. It was still work the drive down Highway 1 to Montara Beach. As I pulled in a fisherman was just coming up the hill with a huge catch and I got a great shot of him. I promised to send him a copy.



I loaded up my backpack with lenses and took my tripod and headed down the steep steps to the beach. What a wonderful view, even in the fog! There were two other fishermen in the surf and I got some great long shots of them in the fog.



I used my tripod to do some long surf exposure shots and got some interesting results. Here is a two second exposure at f22. The one below is three seconds with a neutral density filter. I love the abstract quality this produces.






I will try to drive down here another night this week to see if I can catch a real sunset. I spent two hours photographing the crashing waves and surrounding scenery. I just love the California coast.

No comments: