Friday, June 13, 2008

Nebraska Sandhills


I made it safely out of Iowa after spending the night in Coralville, IA, but I've never seen flooding like I saw across the entire state of Iowa. High waters could be seen in what had been large corn fields. When crossing any of the rivers in Iowa the waters were high and dangerously close to the bridge. I took this photo of a very swollen Missouri River after crossing into Nebraska at Sioux City.


I spent Friday driving through the Sandhills of northern Nebraska on Route 12. I've read about this area but I never knew it would be so beautiful. Mari Sandoz describes it so well in her work but the vastness of this area is hard to describe and hard to capture in a photograph.



Tornado shelter at the Wildlife Refuge



The Nebraska Sandhills are dotted with these wooden windmills. The really stand out against the blue sky and grassy sandhills.



Coca-Cola sign on Main Street in Valentine, Nebraska.


Cowboy hats in the window on a shop on Main Street in Valentine, Nebraska.


Valentine - the Heart City sign on Main Street in Valentine, Nebraska.


The Niobrara River from the Niobrara Wildlife Refuge area.


The banks of the lovely Niobrara River.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post made me CRY - I love Nebraska! Lived in Utah and miss the mountains but this is plain beauty at its finest. Simplicity. Nebraska has heart. We're moving to TX soon and I will miss the fields and farms so much. Sincerely, Lizabeth www.sparkbark.com