Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Four Corners, Utah

Thanks to the nice guys at the Chip's Grand Tires who checked my tire pressure and gave me two free valves, I confidently left Moab early in the morning and drove down Route 191 South. I was able to get a good shot of Wilson Arch from the turnout on the road.




I drove south again to the turn-off for the Needles section of Canyonlands National Park (Route 211, 24 miles northwest of Monticello) and Newspaper Rock. Newspaper Rock is a petroglyph panel etched in sandstone. Etched into the desert varnish are symbols representing the Fremont, Anasazi, Navajo and several other ancient cultures. Newspaper Rock is one of the finest displays of Indian rock art to be found anywhere in the U.S.






I decided to continue on Route 211 through the Manti-La Sal National Forest and took this road up through a very scenic route through mountains and lakes overlooking Canyonlands passing piñon and juniper. I then down on into Adajo Drive in Monticello where I picked up Route 191 South again.




I stopped briefly at Foy Lake in the Manti-La Sal National Forest and rested in the cooler air.


Although it was extremely hot in the sun I stopped briefly at the Edge of the Cedars ancient Pueblo ruins. Edge of the Cedars State Park is the site of a pre-Colombian Pueblo Indian ruin and a modern museum. I stayed inside the nicely air-conditioned museum and saw a wonderful collection of Anasazi pottery and other ancient Indian artifacts.


I drove on Route 94 some 34 miles to Natural Bridges National Monument. Natural Bridges preserves some of the finest examples of natural stone architecture in the southwest. Although it is mid-June the 100-degree afternoon temperature make is difficult to hike down to the bridges so I drink lots of water and try to keep from getting heat exhaustion. I think late Autumn might be a better time to see the Four Corners region. But since I'm here I try to make the best of it.


I keep seeing these "Open Range" signs and do indeed see roving cattle grazing in spots. It's quite unusual for an Easterner.


I drove on to Bluff, Utah and stop in the hot sun for a stroll through the old restored Bluff Fort (1880-1883) and the Barton cabin. As I entered the barn in the old homestead a beautiful hummingbird was there and quickly flew away.






After jumping back into the car's air conditioning to keep from passing out I drove on to Mexican Hat and saw the late afternoon sun on the Mexican Rock. I continued south on Route 163 to Goulding's Trading Post where I had made a reservation for the night and the Navajo Full Moon Tour of Monument Valley.




We left at 8 p.m. on the dot and the young woman Navajo guide drove us through the rough dusty roads of Monument Valley to the Totem Pole monument where we watched for moonrise.




It was amazing to see the glow of the moon rise behind the Totem Pole monument then rise completely to the full moon. Although my camera and tripod got very dusty on this trip it was worth it for the spectacular view.



Waiting for the moon to rise.



Seeing the light start to appear...



Full moon in Monument Valley.


I stopped at this great Navajo gift shop in Monument Valley and got some great souvenirs.




No comments: