Friday, March 19, 2010














I arrived in Santa Fe just in time for a huge blizzard. There are 6-10 inches of snow coming tonight and tomorrow. I went to the Georgia O'Keefe Museum during the worst of the storm this afternoon.

The Georgia O’Keeffe Museum opened 11 years after her death in July 1997, and is the only museum in the world dedicated to an internationally known woman artist. One of the most significant artists of the 20th century, Georgia O’Keeffe (1887-1986) was devoted to creating imagery that expressed what she called “the wideness and wonder of the world as I live in it.”  There are marvelous quotes by O'Keefe on the walls next to her works.  Works on display included abstractions, large-scale flowers, leaves, rocks, shells, bones, and other natural forms, New York cityscapes, and paintings of the unusual shapes and colors of architectural and landscape forms of northern New Mexico.

I had not seen some of her flowers and work from the 1920s. They were supremely beautiful.  I especially enjoyed seeing some of the work she did at the Ghost Ranch because I am going to be photographing there in a few days. They will provide colorful inspiration.

No comments: