Saturday, January 2, 2010

Key West Circumnavigation


I rode my new folding Citizen bicycle around the entire circumference of Key West. I took a shot of a plane landing at the Key West Airport.


Pelican near Smather's Beach, Key West.


I'm always looking for Methodist churches in remote locations since my father is a Methodist minister and my mother plays the organ at the Methodist church in Middleport, Ohio. The Newman Methodist church in Key West is said to be a haven during hurricanes.


The Key West Lighthouse was built after the hurricane of 1846 destroyed the original 1825 lighthouse. It is the 15th oldest surviving lighthouse in the country. You can climb the 88-step circular iron stairway that leads to the lighthouse deck from which much of Key West is visible.


The skies darken as an afternoon storm approaches. Luckily I had finished my bike tour and watched the storm from my hotel room.


Even during the rainstorm I couldn't put my camera down.










The storm passed, the clouds lifted and boats went back out to the Gulf. The temperature dropped 10 degrees but even at 62 we were content. The locals started wearing scarfs around their necks to our great amusement.




Around 5 pm each evening everyone heads to Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. Steel drum bands play, magicians set up their shows, a man with a cat act enthralls the celebrants with his antics. You get the idea. It's a great way to end the day. A huge cheer goes up from the crowd just as the sun disappears beneath the horizon. The steel drums swell and the evening party gets started in earnest.


It's a photographer's paradise each evening.




My brother Bob and Sue at the sunset celebration.


Sunset with palm tree. It doesn't get any better than this.


Unless a sailboat sails right into my sunset shot like this.

1 comment:

davidr said...

Love the fish lens! Also the droplets on window are amazing!
David